Wednesday 13 March 2013

Being Pale - objects that save our souls Pt 1

I think i've mentioned it a few times, yes, I know I have, but for the uninitiated, I am very very pale. I have freckles, so whenever I go to buy a foundation (foundation is my version of heroin, I just can't get enough and the more I buy the more I want) I seem to have this exchange with the MUA.

Me: Hi there, I wanted to try your new foundation but i'm not sure it'll come pale enough for me
MUA: I wouldn't say you're that pale, I would put you at a shade 03 or 04
Me: I promise you, lots of people say that but it's just because my skin is red and I have freckles
MUA: Trust me, I know what I'm talking about, I think you'll be surprised.
Me: 'sighing' okay....surprise me....

10 wasted minutes later....

MUA: How weird! Do you not want to warm up your complexion a little though? No one wants to be pale do they?
Me: I do. It's the colour I am. I want foundation the colour of my skin ideally.
MUA: Oh, well I can't help you then.
Me: Thought not....

And thus, my frustration, and search continues. Fortunately, more and more companies are jumping on the bandwagon of different levels of paleness, and tones of paleness. Yellow based, pink based, neutral. It happens! However, what do you do when you've wasted a ton of your money on a foundation that is far too dark for you? Or the wrong tone? Well, I have wasted money, and I haven't really got much of it to waste sadly, so these objects have saved me again and again when it comes to my foundation.

Illamasqua Skin Base in Shade 01

If you're thinking 'that's ruddy pale, it's basically white', you'd be right, thats exactly what it is. Illamasqua skin base is a much loved version of a BB Cream by the fantastic Illamasqua, a brand that, as far as I'm concerned, can do no wrong. 

Now, given the massive shade range of this product, you may think 'why not just buy it in your shade?'. Well sadly this product isn't long wearing enough for me, and it tends to slide off/cake up around my stupid red nose. Fortunately, when mixed in small quantities with other foundation formulations that DO work, but are too dark for me, the problems don't surface. Bonza! 

I used to use Mac Face and Body foundation in White, but the shelf life of that product is ridiculously short, and it becomes a clotted, stinking filthy mess in four months, and the product is SO sheer that if you need any coverage, you're just sheering it out too much and lose the effectiveness. I also have used Face Atelier in Zero Minus, which is a very siliconey white foundation favoured by make up artists, but it's darn expensive at £34 for such a small quantity, so Illamasqua turned out a happy solution for me. 

If you'd like to give this product a go, it's available from the Illamasqua website HERE for £27.

BUDGET QUEENS BEWARE THOUGH. If you are struggling to find the money to treat yourself, there is a much cheaper pure white alternative available from trusty old Barry M called Foundation Creme White. Okay, not quite the same quality, but does the same job for next to nothing. You can purchase Barry M online, or in store at Boots or Superdrug for £6.19.

Barry M Foundation Creme in White



Of course, there is also the issue of 'what if the foundation is now too yellow, or too pink'. Well, I tend to go pretty basic here, and look for the pinkest/yellowest foundation I can even out the tone with, ideally with the same finish qualities, so long wearing/sweatproof/dewy/matte etc. 

For example, I have a big love for Smashbox Studio Skin 15hr Wear Foundation but it's so darn DARK it's like fake tan on me! When I add white, it turns pale yellow, and I am neutral in tone, leaning to pinky, so what I do is add another favourite of mine, Make Up For Ever Face and Body foundation in shade 38 Pink Porcerlain into the mix. It's not only a pink based foundation, but it's also water resistant and oil free like the first, so they work together well. Never mix an oil base with a water base, they will repel each other like hateful ex's, and separate as far as they can get from each other, on your face, leaving you red faced and blotchy. Again, like a hateful ex. 


I hope this post has been somewhat useful to the pallid of tone out there. I have written this from my poorly sickbed, so I hope I make some sense in all this ramble. Thank you for reading me girls! 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh i am exactly the same ! The only matches i have found are BB albaster, skin base 02 and graftobian lady fair. I also hord foundations like nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another girl like me! It's ridiculous, because I keep on and on buying them, and I knowingly buy ones too dark, but i'm so desperate for the finish or longwear that I dive in. Why do I keep doing it!? Glutton for punishment and wasting my money it seems. Did you know that BB are stopping doing alabaster soon?

      EVIL!!!!

      Delete